Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Erlang

I don't do enough programming!

It has been years since I actually was allowed (asked?) to write any production code that goes into any of Volvo vehicle, since we buy a majority of our in-vehicle software from suppliers. Besides that, most of the in-house code we do nowadays are auto-generated from Simulink and Stateflow models.
Mostly I have reviewed what others have put in our vehicles, which is not nearly as rewarding. And this usually only happens when there is a problem, usually not a bug fix but rather more complicated, like real-time scheduling or improper use or configuration of the basic (or platform) software.

Since I will take a more active part in the a project course at the IT University which uses Erlang I think I will look into that. Erlang has some features which appeals to me personally:
  • Support for asynchronous parallel processing, ideal for multi-core processors
  • Functional paradigm, in contrast to the dominating OO paradigm, so I need to brush up old knowledge of things I haven't used since graduating in 1993.
  • Freeware from the erlang website
  • Access to some experts on the language

Confession: I'm not really that skilled OO programmer either, I could probably not write a Java program if my life depended on it. I'm too old school, almost all professional programming I've done have been in C and Fortran, with some Assembler and IDL.

No comments:

Post a Comment